Monday, 20 April 2015

3 Sentence Bio Challenge

Today at work, I had to write a bio about myself to go in a brochure for a conference I'm speaking at. It was an interesting but difficult exercise; managing to get all the relevant information in concisely whilst trying to avoid sounding either arrogant or incompetent. It got me thinking, do those few sentences really reflect who I am? Am I simply defined by the work I do or don't do? If not, then what does define me?  Is it even possible to describe a whole person so succinctly? Or is who we are simply one thing so fundamental that 3 sentences is excessive?

We are given all kinds of ways to explain 'who we are' to others; most commonly by what we do, who we know or where we're from. Maybe if we're slightly less clinical about it, we'd go down the lines of our likes/dislikes, appearance, personality traits or perhaps our opinions on certain matters. But are you actually any the wiser about who I fundamentally am if you discover that I prefer yoghurt to milk on my cereal, am about 5'3" with brown hair, I'm fairly extroverted and I boycott certain companies because of their unethical reputations? I'm not sure, you tell me.  

I'm aware of all the textbook Christian answers to this question; I'm a child of God, made in His image, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb etc etc etc. But I don't want to just reproduce 'Christianese' jargon, that I struggle to relate to, let alone anyone hearing it from me. 

So this post deliberately has no answer, to give you the reader the chance to respond with how you would better define a) yourself or b) me - I'm bracing myself for anything here! Go crazy, be creative, dig deeper. I look forward to reading what you come up with.*


*If you're interested, my work bio went like this: 
'Bethan joined PRA Health Sciences in Swansea, through their Clinical Programming Academy program in 2011 as a graduate of Mathematics. Having worked as a support programmer on trials of various indications and phases, she has gained experience of SAS programming and industry standards. Bethan began taking on lead responsibilities for studies in 2013 and will be presenting based mainly on her experience of leading a series of Phase II trials from study start-up through to final TFLs.' 
Thrilling right?

No comments:

Post a Comment