Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Treasure

Some words that speak into my thoughts at the moment:

'For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'

If you want to read around them, then check out the verse 21, chapter 6, book of Matthew, the Bible.

Now just in case you thought treasure was just for pirates, it can take many forms. It might be totting up those pounds in the bank, or padding out the wardrobe with pretty things, or getting a highscore on a game you're hooked on, or being appreciated or successful or attractive. There are even plenty of things most would consider good which can gain the status of treasure; working hard, doing charity or church work, fighting for worthwhile causes, finding a spouse and starting a family. 

So where's the issue? Those things all sound pretty peachy right? Maybe we should go back to the example of pirates, think of all the things they might sacrifice or set aside in order to find that treasure; families at home, legal and moral standards, each other! Simply in the hope that finding buried treasure would satisfy all their deepest longings. Yet the reality is, that the treasure they searched for probably doesn't exist, or at the very least not in the form they imagined it to. Furthermore, even if it did, there is no 'treasure' in the world that can truly satisfy all the desires and frustrations of a human heart.

At this point, it's easy to say, 'Oh those silly pirates, what were they thinking?' But the truth is, I am a silly pirate too! Now I might not have a silly hat or eye-patch or wooden leg or parrot but hear me out. I find it way too easy to find myself preoccupied with things that I suppose would make me happy; buying a house, finding a husband, being the best dancer in the world to name but a few. I think to myself, if I just had 'insert treasure here' then I would be so happy and a much better person and I'd tell people about Jesus all the time. But would I?

Well, only if I set my mind on one treasure particular, that being the very One who said the words quoted at the start. The more I get to know Jesus, the more I appreciate the massive lengths he went for me so that I could call him my big brother and his father my Father, the more I fill my mind with all the promises that he eternally keeps, the more I meditate on the facets of his marvellous character, then the more I will discover how satisfying real treasure is and find fulfilment in living the way he knows is best for me. 

So I need to daily abandon the treasures I store up here on earth and find myself delighted as I dwell on the true treasure who is in Heaven.

What about you?
Do you find yourself treasuring things which can't fully satisfy?
How do you make Jesus a treasure in your life?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment