Thursday, 31 May 2012

'Thank God for' Friday!


It's that time of the week again to take a step back and think of things which have God to thank for. This Friday is a particularly good friday as it is the beginning of a whole four days worth of weekend. I have been getting more excited by the day about this weekend as I am going to Brum to visit my very good friend, Miss Rebekah Tubbs.

So this Friday I am going to thank God for Bekah Tubbs!!!

Thanks for your photo Tubes, and credit to Ro for taking the photo. Aren't we so cool in our matching coats?!
It was her amazingly expressive faces just like the one above (she's on the right if you're not familiar with her) that first impressed me. She has the kind of face which can express any complex emotion you might dare to suggest without a single word, e.g. 'I can't believe you don't know how amazing goats are, I love them and they're like soooo much better than sheep' or 'I'm confused, I thought you really wanted to play Scrabble, I got my massive dictionary out and everything'. It's hard to believe until you've seen it but it is a genuine talent.

Another thing I love about Tubbs is her amazing, uncontrollable laugh and her incredible sense of humour. I only have to hear the word 'Frosties' and I know I'll be hardcore laughing for hours.

So how does a nincompoop like myself come to know such a cool character and have the privelege of being able to call her one of my best friends? Well, we were in university together, both in the same halls and also both members of the Christian Union. The CU had a system set up called Prayer Squads where you met up in small groups and prayed together, both for the CU and for each other. Our 'squad' consisted of the two of us, and another girl called Fisayo, who is very lovely, but also pretty disorganised, so mostly it was just the two of us. This meant that our friendship, right from the off, was all centred on Jesus. And we had such amazing prayer times where our eyes and hearts were opened to how amazing our God is and how He fits into our lives.

We kept up this prayer partnership even after we moved out of halls. We got to know so much about each other, and encourage each other with words from the Bible, and actually let ourselves be vulnerable enough to share the burdens as well as the joys in our lives. Then, for our third year, we shared a lovely little house with another lovely girl called Rosie (I'm sure I'll do a TGFF about her sometime). That house was A-MA-ZING! I loved living there, we got to know each other inside out, played a LOT of board games, baked/cooked lots of yummy things and watched a fair amount of period dramas! On a bad day, I only had to go downstairs to find someone who would help me feel better, share advice, pray for me or just share in something fun. Or on a good day, we might decide to do something fun all together like play on the beach or practise acoustic versions of Little Mermaid songs! Bekah was also brilliant whenever I had some difficult question about faith, imparting lots of godly wisdom and insightful Bible passages. We discussed everything from playing the piano to boys to ambitions to sharing the gospel with friends to disney movies, and always she would point me straight to what God had to say about it.

Bekah Tubbs is a very sensitive, persevering, talented, creative, funny, thoughtful, wise, encouraging, facially expressive, helpful, beautiful young woman and I thank God that she is my friend. She has taught me loads and supported me loads and I've had so many fun times and adventures with her. So I am incredibly excited that I get to enjoy her company from Friday evening right through to Tuesday evening this weekend.

Thank God for Rebekah Tubbs.

1 comment: