Friday, 4 May 2012

'Thank God for' Friday

A twofold thankfulness session this week:

Thank God for ...

my job

and democracy.

Work has been getting a little tedious lately, the excitement of doing something new has worn off. The easy bits are boring, the hard bits are frustrating, the holidays are few. BUT, that is just me having a rubbish attitude. There are so many people my age, many that I know, who are unemployed or employed in jobs which don't fit their skillset. I have a job which requires a mathematical degree. I work with lovely people, in a successful but friendly company doing something that I'm pretty well suited to. This is surely worth thanking God for.

Moreover, the work I do, somewhere further down the line ends up with safe and effective drugs being brought to market that can save or improve lives. So it's not just some pointless, demotivating, life-draining exercise. It is worthwhile. Just in all the number crunching and excel spreadsheet completing I had forgotten that. 

Further still, as a child of God I am designed to work. He is creator and sustainer of all the universe, if that's not a full-time job then what is? I am made in His image to reflect Him, so work is a way of getting closer to Him, bringing order out of chaos, creating something and making a positive impact. The first thing God did after creating man was to give him a job, God clearly thinks work is great*. There are also loads of people at work who haven't heard or don't yet understand how amazing Jesus is and I have a fantastic opportunity to share that with them, through my life and my words.

And democracy? Well, I voted this morning in my local election, no-one holding a gun to my head over who I voted for, didn't need to burn my bra on the way, and even if who I voted for doesn't gain power, I can have confidence that the way they got their was fair. We moan a lot and it's not perfect, but our country is still a pretty great place to live :)

Thank God.


*Some of my favourite verses from the Bible about work:
1 Corinthians 10:31 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.'

Colossians 3:12-17 '
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.'



No comments:

Post a Comment