Thursday, 19 April 2012

Oops I did it again

I'm not an obsessive Britney fan honestly, just thought it was a pretty kitchy name for a second post! And it does have a point, honestly, which I will get to later, I promise. In fact, I did once own the 'Oops I did it Again' album, but there was a pretty nasty incident where I left it in my brother's CD player after practising routines in his room without asking, he was pretty cross and shattered said album into several pieces. It hasn't happened again since, we're really a very loving family, honest!

So I was driving home from work today, and my ipod kindly picked a song which helped me gather my thoughts for this 'awkward second post'. See, I'd been thinking that I wanted to do a post straight-off about what I believe and what my faith means to me but I didn't want it to sound like some 'Vision and Values' page off some university prospectus. Then I heard the words of this chorus and I love them because they're so honest and heartfelt and unpretentious (is that a word?):

" 'Cause I get so clumsy
And I get so foolish
I get so stupid
And then I feel so useless
But You’re sayin’ You love me
And You’re still gonna hold me
And that You wanna be near me
‘Cause You’re makin’ me holy
You’re still makin’ me holy "

I thought to myself, 'Yeh, that is exactly what being a Christian is like'. It's definitely not about being perfect because I'd never make the cut when God looks into my heart. Often I get frustrated and feel 'foolish', 'stupid' and 'useless' when I fall into the same weaknesses I have before. But God has proven how much He loves me by His creation, incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection and the gift of His Holy Spirit to dwell in everyone who trusts Jesus. So now I can know Him and feel Him and with each little step on the journey to seeing God face to face one day, He is making me closer to the person He made me to be, that's what it means to be holy.

So yes, quite frequently I could say 'Oops I did it again' but God still loves me and looks at me like His child and nothing could separate me from Him. And that's why I love Him.

1 comment: